Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thoughts on Suffering

I cannot understand the pain of living at times. To contemplate on it would be too much. So why does it end up like this? Why must there be suffering?

Sometimes it’s best not to ask because the answer may not be what you want to hear. Suffering has a way of purging things out of us that hold us back from living an extraordinary life. Suffering is a tool, no more no less, to bring us to greatness. And even when we reach that greatness there is always room for improvement so more suffering shows up.

So that suffering may complete its perfect work, you have to surrender to it. This is not easy... I know. The mind and its reasoning nature cannot make sense of it. Suffering is a process that has a beginning, middle, and end. Similar to running, you will feel a strong burn and the desire to quit before you reach the finish line. It is this burn that strengthens and prepares you to take on greater challenges. It is this burn you must embrace and make your friend.

An extraordinary life has its price. That price is courage to persevere. There is one more thing to know. Extraordinary living is not on the outside – it’s within you. As long as you look for the extraodinary in worldy things you will always come up short.

Running is helping me internalize this lesson. When I run it is not for any specific reason or external goal. Yes, I'm training to run 10 miles in October but even then its about the experience not the destination. When I run I come in contact with something inside of me that inspires me to believe life really is wonderful. I'm reminded that inside each one of us is an endless supply of power waiting to be tapped into and unleashed. But you first need to believe and seek it. This is all a little metaphysical, I know, but it's the only way I can explain my journey right now.

The lesson? “Adventure is not outside man; it is within.” ~ David Grayson

Here's a video that illustrates what a human being can do when they tap into the power within. I think it's called the "impossible".

1 comment:

  1. Such clarity of thought; must be the purging that running that strains does for you.

    Here is what Apostle (or for you St.) James has to say on that, "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." (James 1:2-4)

    Can you imagine? Lacking NOTHING! Anyone who wishes to end up lacking nothing, St. James admonished us to embrace ALL of our trials WITH JOY! Everyone puts up with trials, it's not like one can op out of life! But who endures them with JOY?

    ReplyDelete