Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Child Within

Do you remember back to your childhood when you would run with reckless abandon across any level surface? I do. I especially remember running outside in the grass. Back then I would run for no apparent reason – simply to feel the joy of my body in motion. It was exhilarating and I would laugh with joy as the wind whispered in my ears. I loved that feeling.

This morning I was reminded of that childhood passion. My wife, sister, and good friends joined me for a morning run alongside a lake by my parent’s house. Running with loved ones was fun, but it was my friend’s 1-year-old son that really made my morning. The reason? That little guy ran through the woods with such a look of happiness on his face, I could see the presence of God in him. He ran with “reckless abandon” as though nothing else in the world mattered at that moment. He laughed out loud to celebrate his freedom and his laughter filled my spirit with freedom as well.

So tonight’s lesson is something my young friend taught and reminded me of today. Remember the child within – he is free and he can free you too. Yes, you’re probably an adult now but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy life the way a child does - with reckless abandon.

No comments:

Post a Comment