Thursday, June 3, 2010

Breaking Free

I have to confess. I have an addiction to Mountain Dew and this week I have given in twice so far (after almost 5 months of being clean). Why does this scenario keep replaying in my life? Will it ever stop? I don’t know so I wrote a silly poem about it a while back.

A joy I once knew,
Has left my life.
Its uplifting effects,
Never to be known again.
Creativity and passion unleashed with each sip,
A lifetime of imagination in a bottle.
Oh Mountain Dew how I miss you so,
Refreshing and inspiring you were to me.
Now I must drink from a different source,
A creative power that flows deep within.
Mountain Dew you are like a bittersweet friend,
Fun for a moment but disastrous in the end.

In reality I think my addiction is not an addiction at all. I have just conditioned my mind to think Mountain Dew (caffeine and sugar) have the power to charge my mojo (life force). Over the years I have reinforced this thought over and over again and my physical being now believes it. The problem with this is that prolonged consumption of Mountain Dew tends to raise my anxiety levels – or does it? Maybe all this messy thinking is just in my head. Could it be that I am not seeking the rush of caffeine and sugar as much as I am seeking to feel the power of my life force in action?

So tonight’s lesson once again revolves around examining your thinking. To get back to reality you need to examine and question your thoughts. Do they make sense? Are they really true? Only you know. When your thinking clears up you might come to the realization the only thing you need in life you already have -your life force. It’s always been there waiting for you to realize it - ready to supercharge you on demand. Then you won’t need anything like a Mountain Dew, coffee, add your own vices here. Then the addictions and damaging behaviors will fade away.

If you think this is impossible let the wisdom of Yoda speak to your heart. Feel the force. Let it inspire you to do things you only dreamed of.



If you're wondering, yes I am still running. Up to 2 miles or so outside on pavement. My knees are holding up and my quads are fried for the moment (did some weight resisted squats for the first time ever two nights ago).

1 comment: