Monday, June 28, 2010

Running with the Dragon

“The effort is to apply no effort at all.” That’s the thought I had this evening as I allowed myself to run 6 miles. “Allowed?” you might ask. Yes, “Allowed,” and hopefully I can explain below.

The loop around my neighborhood is 1.5 miles and tonight I planned on running one quick loop. I did this and was feeling good, so I decided to run one more loop (3 miles total). The last part of the loop is downhill and I decided to have some fun by letting my body take over. It sprinted faster than I have run in a long time and the feeling was exhilarating. Then it hit me. My body likes to run. So I decided to do something I have never done before – run a third loop (4.5 miles total).

Somewhere halfway around the loop my body asked to completely take over and my mind “allowed” it. It was a strange sensation. It felt like I was along for a ride in someone else’s body. At the end of the loop my body once again sprinted down the hill. This time I gazed up at the star filled sky and felt a sense of freedom I haven’t known in a while.

I finished the 3rd loop and was feeling alright so I decided to allow my body to run one more loop (6 miles total). It did it and here we are. Contrary to my past self defeating thinking, I did not pass out.

As I was running tonight I had a flashback to the 80’s and something Leroy Greene taught me as a kid. It’s also tonight’s lesson. To find your true power you only need to look inside where you have never looked before. When you find it, you’ll be amazed that something so intense could have gone unnoticed.

Here’s the final scene from The Last Dragon that puts this lesson into action.

No comments:

Post a Comment