Saturday, September 18, 2010

We are Free

Years ago in the darkest days of my life I would close my eyes and imagine myself trapped in a black box. I remember looking up and all I could see was more darkness. The reason I knew I was in a box was by feeling the four walls and floor that encased me. I would reach for the top edge to see if I could pull myself out, but I could not reach it. So I quit trying and accepted my fate.

Then one day a light appeared in the box with me and I was able to see a door I had never seen before. I was eager to step through it but was afraid of what was on the other side. So I sat in the box with the light. On occasion I would crack the door open and a light as bright as the sun would flood in. I couldn’t see beyond the bright light so my fear remained and I stayed trapped. Day by day my courage built and I would open the door a little more. Each time the light would blind and daze me and I would close the door.

One day, and without warning, the door flung open and the box dissolved into the light that penetrated it. The prison that had held me for so long was no more. It was all a construction of my mind. As I looked around I saw a vast land covered in trees and grass. It had rivers flowing through it and a sky so beautiful I can’t describe it in words. I heard voices and realized there were others like me here. We’re they trapped too I wondered?

This place became my home and it has sustained my existence. Others have joined me and I am grateful for their presence. I have learned that I have the power to shape this world and my destiny. I have also learned that I am part of everything in this world and beyond.

Tonight’s lesson? The only prison that can hold you is the one you call your mind. Realize this and you will discover a world in which you are free to dream. God did not create you to be a prisoner. He created you to be free.

Here’s a song that helped bring me through the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment