Thursday, September 2, 2010

Persist I Must

“Persist through crap… criticism, rejection, assholes, and pressure.” This is what Richard St. John, an expert on the concept of success, says to do.

Right now I’m up to my ears in crap. Negative thinking, toxic relationships, worry, lethargy, etc… All this crap has seeped back into my life. So much so that I want to call it a day and go sell t-shirts on the beach or something. I have this crazy fantasy about throwing my cell phone into the lake by my house, cashing a Friday paycheck, getting in my car, and driving west until I run out of money or gas – whichever comes first. I won’t stop though. I will hitchhike or walk to the West Coast and when I get there I will dip my feet in the Pacific Ocean. In that moment I will be transformed into a new being. One with a deep appreciation for life. One who feels grateful and blessed for the life God has given him. One who adores the people in his life. One who believes that by some cosmic twist of fate, life is going to work out great. Not because he deserves it, but instead because he believes it.

So why not believe this now without all the drama of running away? What would I be running from anyway? My life? I thought this whole journey was about running to it not from it.

Did you hear that? It’s the sound of a toilet flushing. No more crap in my life for the moment. Sorry to be so lucid.

Tonight’s lesson is to cut the crap and start believing the truth of life – its extraordinary and worth living to the fullest. A butterfly told me that so I have to believe it. Butterflies do not lie.

Here’s a great TED Talk by Richard St. John.

1 comment:

  1. I may have said it, but you remind of it everyday:) Thank you for being you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete