Friday, September 10, 2010

Amazed in the Moment

What does it mean to be a parent? I have three kids and I’m still not exactly sure.

I wake up in the morning and am amazed at the fact I’m a parent. To be honest it’s all still a little surreal to me. I wonder if this is how other parent’s feel. At the same time it’s one of the coolest things I have ever experienced. I think one of the favorite moments is when I come home and my kids yell out, “Daddy!” and run over to hug me. Moments like these make me feel like I’m dreaming and it’s a dream I never want to wake up from.

My two boys returned to and started school this past week. As I drove my oldest son to school this week I couldn’t help but think how amazing it is I am actually a dad. I wonder if my parents felt like this. My son likes to chat and he tells me incredible things. Today he was trying to explain to me that there is power in exercising. I said, “Why is that?” and he said, “Because God puts power in exercise so that it can find its way to us.” His words remind me that at his young age he has great clarity because his head has not yet been filled with illusions.

Maybe I do know what it means to be a parent. I think it has something to do with living in the moment and helping my kids continue to do the same as they grow up. When I live in the moment I feel most connected to my kids and life in general. The moment is the here and now and I’m noticing this where my kids spend most of their time. Maybe we should all spend some more time in the moment so we can enjoy life the way kids do. This is tonight’s lesson.

I think this little guy has the whole living in the moment thing figured out.

No comments:

Post a Comment