Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What is Love?

Love. That’s what I need to be happy. That’s what I need to be me in the truest sense.

It’s all around me all the time, so why do I keep failing to see it?

Maybe I’m looking with the wrong instrument – my eyes. Maybe I need to start looking with my heart. It can’t “see” in the normal sense of the word, but from experience I know it has the power to realize that which I cannot always see.

Maybe I need to expand my definition of the word love in order to wrap my mind around it. The Greeks have four words for love: Agápe, Éros, Philia, and Storge. Agápe is the highest form of love. Some describe it as the “all consuming” love God has for us. Éros is sensual love, similar to the love a husband and wife have for each other. Philia refers to brotherly love. Think Philadelphia. Storge is affectionate love like the one parent’s have for their children.

The one thing all these definitions have in common is they imply love is a verb. In turn, to “feel” love you must first put love into action or be the recipient of someone’s love in action.

Interesting how I just resolved my own dilemma. If I want to see love in my life, I must manifest that love through my actions. This is also tonight’s lesson. Love is in the doing, not just in the feeling.

Here’s an example of someone who put their love into action day after day.

No comments:

Post a Comment