Friday, August 13, 2010

Mind Shift

When I believe other people’s negative thinking I suffer. So what can I do about this? Stop believing other people’s “stinking thinking”. Instead, I will only believe that which I accept to be true and in alignment with God’s will for my life.

Lately the economy and its negative implications seem to cloud many conversations people have with me. I don’t think there is anything wrong with acknowledging the reality of things and realizing its impact on yourself and others. The trouble starts when you internalize these things and allow them to consume your attitude and behaviors. Katie Byron, a self-help guru, says there are only three kinds of business – your business, other people’s business, and God’s business. Macro events, like the economy, we have no direct control over fall into the category of God’s business. If you’re minding God’s business, who’s minding your business?

This is not to say that the economic recession has not had a real negative impact on many people, including many who were not the direct cause of it. I too have felt the pain of a down economy, but one day I woke up and said, “Ok… what can I do now. Wherever there is crisis there is opportunity to change things for the better."

In addition, it's a good idea to get your eyes off your own troubles by helping and serving others. Joel Osteen, a renowned evangelist, says, “I can’t see when my eyes are on me.” I think he is right.

That simple mind shift helped me move from a reactive mode to a proactive mode in my life. When I’m being proactive, like training to run long distances, I engage my mind, body, spirit, and emotions in a way that starts to unleash my inner potential. In turn, I start moving towards that which I want to manifest in my life. I start to feel in tune with my life’s purpose. I start to feel closer to God. And suddenly, things that are out of my direct control, like the economy, don’t negatively consume my thoughts and life anymore.

Tonight’s lesson is to always remember you can do amazing things in life if you choose to be proactive instead of reactive. When you make this simple choice, doors start to open, the stars align in your favor, and you start to feel and act happier all around.

Interestingly enough, now you are also in a great position to open doors for others, align the stars in their favor, and help them feel and act happier. Try it. It works like magic.

Here’s a song I feel resonates with this lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment