Thursday, August 12, 2010

Back in the Saddle

Ok... I'm back. Not just physically, but also mentally, spiritually, and emotionally (for the moment at least). Like Shakira (my wife's alter ego - we are all from the same city in Colombia) sings in "Waka Waka", it's time to "...get back in the saddle".

Tonight I finally ran after 2 weeks off caused by a strained tendon and ankle (my swollen right calf looked like Popeye's forearm for while there). It felt great and I realized one of the things I most love about running is sweating. In my mind every drop of sweat carries with it stress, anxiety, worry, negative thoughts, etc… I love to look down at the pool of sweat collect by my feet after I stop running. To me it represents all the bad stuff in my life I no longer need or hold. Next time I might even drop a dance step or two in that puddle to celebrate my new life.

To ease back into running I decided to jump on the treadmill tonight instead of going outside. As I ran I was reminded that only a few short months ago I struggled to run up a flight of stairs – literally. I don’t know exactly what was happening to me at the time (bet it had something to do with chronic stress and stinking thinking), but I was definitely in a life funk. I can only thank God for bringing me out of that state and blessing me with the grace to be here today. I’m also grateful to my sister for pushing me to get real with myself.

Tonight’s lesson is in life there are things you might not be able to do immediately, like run 10 miles, but with preparation, dedication, and practice you can accomplish anything you believe you can. The hardest step is that first one, but once you step out in faith everything will work out if you keep at it. Once you internalize this truth, taking on other challenges in life becomes more and more fun (not always easy though – you have to be honest with yourself here).

Here’s a music video to inspire you to keep pushing forward.

1 comment: