Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Life is Good

“Life is good” read the bumper sticker in front of me as I drove home today - twice. “Is it really?” I wondered to myself because that’s not how I am feeling right now.

Just the other day a co-worker told me she believes life is simply a place of misery and suffering. It is riddled with one problem after another and generally these problems are out of your control. I told her, “Ok, so why don’t we all just die right now then. What’s the point of living a miserable existence?” She looked at me and sort of smiled.

So what’s the trick to living a “good” life instead of a miserable one? Your attitude.

Life does not feel “good” to me right now but that does not mean it is not “good”. I am simply reflecting my feelings because it’s how I feel. Feelings are not concrete truths. They come and go like the seasons and if you let them drive your attitude you will be like a ship tossed at sea – up and down, up and down, and all over the place.

Tonight’s lesson is avoid becoming a victim of your emotions by accepting them for what they are – indicators that you are a spiritual being having a human experience. Life can feel great at times and not so great at others. That’s alright. The important thing is to keep a balanced and realistic attitude. Don’t fool yourself with optimism either (though a positive attitude won’t hurt). Be realistic with your situation, step back, and see what concrete action you can take to yield positive outcomes – for you and for others.

Here is something I think we forget as adults. Kids seem to believe this and maybe that’s why they are intrinsically happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment