Monday, August 30, 2010

Keep on Dreaming

I would like to embrace uncertainty. So how do I do this without throwing up?

On April 1st I took on the challenge to train for and run the Army 10-Miler at the end of October. With that decision I also took on a huge load of uncertainty. How will I find the time to do this? Can I do this? What if I fail? What if I never make it? Am I a fool for doing this? Will I be laughed at (I was)? What do I have to prove anyway? All these questions plagued my thinking. And then I did it. I stepped through the wall of fear and took that first step. In fact I did almost throw up, but I also discovered something about myself – I have more potential than I had come to think I did.

Last week I ran on the beach to condition my physical being. It took its toll on me, but through this journey I am learning that the pain, setbacks, and injuries are all part of game. To strengthen muscle you must first tear it. There is no other way. Logic would say that to increase the fullness of your life you must first go through some pain too. This might include acknowledging and letting go of things that hold you back like inaccurate beliefs, negativity, bad habits, toxic relationships, sin, etc… And even when you push through and start moving towards your goal something terrifying will show up to stop you – doubt. Doubt that achieving your goal will make a difference. This doubt is so powerful it can cause you to quit.

The way to beat the doubt is to doubt it. What if the doubt is wrong? What if achieving your goal is conditioning you to do greater works like achieve your life’s dream. What if your life’s dream has the power to sustain you? To feed you? To provide for your overall well being? I believe it does. Hang in there, dreams do come true. This is tonight’s lesson.

Here’s a song from the '90s to keep you dreaming (and dancing).  It's a song my wife and I used to groove to when we were dating.  Brings back good memories.

1 comment: