Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Back to My Senses

I am not my feelings.

I am not my thoughts.

I am not my circumstances.

When I allow any of these forces to dictate my attitude and behavior, I’m potentially setting myself up for disaster. Why? Because these forces are only indicators to inform me of what’s going on inside and outside of me. Yes, I should acknowledge and maybe listen to them, but then I need to step back and see what the most reasonable response is.

How many times have you let your emotions get the best of you and said things you later regretted? How many times have you allowed your thoughts to consume you and acted in ways you later wish you hadn’t? How many times have you allowed circumstance to dictate your emotions and thoughts, even though you have no direct control of the circumstance? I do this quite often and I believe it’s time to stop.

Allowing anything other than truth to dictate my life sounds crazy to me. Time to come back to my senses and regain my sanity. "Take out the trash" so to speak. This is tonight’s lesson.

Here's a video that resonates with this lesson.



“Take out the trash… The trash is anything that is keeping you from the only thing that matters. This moment. Here and now. And when you truly are in the here and now, you’ll be amazed at what you can do and how well you can do it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment