Thursday, August 19, 2010

Keep Running

I’m happy with myself tonight. Why? Because something inside of me has changed.

Tonight I just wanted to eat a quart of Häagen-Dazs mango ice cream (which I did), skip blogging, read a book, and go to sleep. I was feeling an overwhelming sense of lethargy and I almost gave in to it. Then something inside of me spoke up and said, “What are you doing? Get up and go downstairs to run. Your life is waiting.”

That was a nice way of saying, “Get up off your lazy ass and keep training.” Harsh words I know, but sometimes you just have to get real with yourself.

Throughout this “running to my life” journey there has been a constant theme – running. I can’t run 10 miles, or any long distance, without running there. Does this make sense? Let me explain. To run 10 miles, or any long distance, I need to run there. Get it. Run there. Not walk there, not crawl there, not hobble there (although this might be the way it goes down sometimes). Run there. That’s what I have to do. Run there.

Sitting around, eating ice cream, and reading books is all good fun, but it’s not running. There is a time and place to chill, but it’s not when you are trying to get somewhere in life. That’s tonight’s lesson.

I think my cousin Kenny has this lesson figured out. Check out his message below. It’s deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment