Sunday, July 18, 2010

Propelled by Passion

By God’s grace and the kindness of a friend, my family and I had the opportunity to spend the last 4 days at Deep Creek Lake in the mountains of MD. It was a magical experience and I cherished every moment of it. I also learned a lot about my family and myself.

I learned that my oldest son has a passion for discovery. He spent hours examining animal life under the rocks in the lake. I learned that my second oldest son has a passion for adventure. He spent hours climbing those same rocks and gazing out into the distance. I learned that my youngest daughter has a passion for the unknown. Without any fear she struggled to free herself of my grip so she could practice swimming (she had a life vest on to help her float). Finally, I learned that my passion is to realize and help my children learn their passions. In doing so I am realzing my own life's purpose - to be a great dad and human being.

I wish I could say that everything was cool every second of our trip, but that’s not how life works. My children, like me, have their daily highs and lows. The great thing about kids is one moment they’re screaming and fighting, and the next laughing and playing. Their ability to bounce back quickly from negative emotions is teaching me a lot about how to deal with and manage my own emotions.

I did have an opportunity to do some running through the forest. Inspired by the “energy” of the forest I pushed myself to run farther and harder. It was fun and I had another interesting thought, "The moment is in the doing."

Tonight's lesson is to remember to find that passion inside of you that awakens your heart and makes life beautiful.

Here's a song I feel connects with this lesson.



"Don't know how it is you looked at me... And saw the person that I could be. Awakening my heart... Breaking through the dark..."

No comments:

Post a Comment