Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Finding Freedom

“Freedom is not outside of you, it’s inside of you.” That’s the thought I had today as I wrestled to free myself of some troublesome thoughts and habits.

So how do you achieve inner freedom? I’m not exactly sure but I think it has to something to do with turning off the inner critic. You know, that voice that says you’re not good enough, you can’t do it, or you’re going to fail so why waste your time trying.

Ever since I ran 6+ miles the other day, my inner critic has been giving me a hard time. In turn, my last few runs have felt a bit off. Physically, I can now push beyond the point of wanting to quit, but that discouraging voice in my head just won’t shut-up. Yes, I can tune it out and ignore it but I dream of the day it will be gone – forever.

So I will continue to run longer and harder. God willing the inner critic will quit before I do.

Tonight’s lesson is to remember that freedom always has a price – your all. You can surrender it to yourself or to the inner critic, but you can’t do both. To surrender to yourself you have to start with forgiving yourself. I think that’s the beginning of inner freedom.

Here’s a song that inspired me to reflect on this lesson today.

No comments:

Post a Comment