Friday, July 23, 2010

The First Step

Almost 4 months ago I walked down to my basement, stepped on a treadmill, and took the first step towards the rest of my life. Looking back I could not have imagined I would be where I am today. Have I had some major life breakthrough or something? Yes, but not in the way I expected.

The breakthrough has not been on the outside as much as it has been on the inside. Specifically, I’ve come to a point where I now understand you don’t need breakthroughs to love life - you only need to understand your purpose.

So what’s my life’s purpose? Me. I am my life’s purpose. The purpose of my life is to simply be me… right here, right now. No more no less.

So what’s the value in internalizing this? Freedom. Freedom from the illusion I have to be doing this or that to be happy. I am happy simply because I’m me.

With this clarity I can now go about doing whatever it is I want to do without the burden of anxiety, worry, fear, etc… I can even run 10 miles and help other’s discover their life’s purpose.

The lesson in all of this is that to get anywhere in life you must take that first step. It’s the hardest one to take, but also the most important. Then it’s time to run to your life. What are you waiting for?

Here’s a song that captures the spirit of this lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment