Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Joy of Happiness

What holds us back from living each and every day like it were our last? From being kind every moment of the day? From believing life is magnificent? From loving with reckless abandon?

For me it’s all the internal baggage I carry. Past hurts, opinions, perspectives, fears, worries, anxiety, excuses, etc…

So what happens when you lose the baggage? Happiness I think.

For a long time I believed happiness was just a “feel good” concept that is only temporary. I don’t believe that anymore and I never want to believe that again.

Happiness does exist. So does suffering. So does pain. So does joy. It’s all part of the package called life. The idea is to live it all – fully. The world is full of dichotomies – light and dark, yin and yang. It’s what keeps things in balance.

My kids are teaching me a lot about happiness. Through them I see that a human being’s natural state is “happy”. Yes, they scream, cry, fight, yell, and argue but they always return to the state of happiness – fast. Could a permanent state of happiness be a code word for joy? Yes, I think so.

The thing to remember is joy is a choice. This is tonight’s lesson. You can always feel it regardless of what’s going on inside or outside you. You can even find joy in things you think are not joyful. You just have to look hard. While your down there dig a little deeper and you'll discover something interesting. Peace.

Here’s a guy who figured some of this out and shared it with the world just before he went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment