Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Breakdown or Breakthrough?

I feel frustrated when I think I’m stuck - like now. It’s as though I’m trying to move forward and at the same time some unseen force is trying to hold me back. It’s a powerful force. So powerful it overwhelms me at times. When I yield to it, it feels like a breakdown. When I move forward in spite of it, it feels like a breakthrough. This past Monday I had a breakthrough after running for 1 hour 8 minutes and 55 seconds in 100 degree weather.

Towards the end of my run, my mind had had enough. Then something inside of me said, “What side of the fence do you want to be on? Breakthroughs are on this side – keep running.” All I could do was look down and watch one foot move in front of the other. I must have mesmerized myself because towards the end of my run, my mind could not make sense of where I was anymore. This is when the breakthrough happened.

I wasn’t delirious. I wasn’t exhausted. I was in the moment and I loved it!

What I learned from this experience is that “being mindful” and “being in the moment” cannot occur at the same time. When I run, and try to push my life forward, my mind puts up all kinds of discouraging thoughts and mental images. The only way to silence it is to slice through it by pushing on. I think this is the secret to breaking through. This is also tonight’s lesson.

Here is a useful technique for relaxing and stepping into the moment. Give it your full awareness. You will really enjoy it.

1 comment: