Friday, April 9, 2010

The Wisdom of the Fool

I almost did not write an entry tonight because it is already 11:28 pm and I have a terrible time trying to get up in the morning. My mind is already overstimulated with thoughts of the future so maybe looking back on today will balance things out.

As usual my alarm went off at 6:30 am and my “snooze” addiction took over. I really need to break this habit because I did not get up until 7:25 am. My wife and kids were awake and I had to sneak into the basement before my kids saw me and cried to come down with me. Knowing my kids one of them would have jumped on the treadmill while I was running and sent me flying into the air as I reached to grab him or her. I have seen stuff like this on Youtube, and though it’s funny (I think it’s hilarious actually), arriving at work with two missing teeth and a bruised face was not how I wanted to start the day.

Our basement is unfinished but my kids must think it’s Disney World considering all the fuss they make to go there. Reminds me of when I was a kid and liked to hang-out in unfinished basements not really understanding the attraction.

Today’s 10 minute running journey, and by running I mean jogging at a mild pace, was set to New Order’s “Bizarre Love Triangle” – one of the best songs ever composed. Nowadays we take the fusion of electronica and solid vocals for granted but during the '80s New Order was revolutionary. They actually helped the world move beyond the disco era much to the disappointment of my parents. My favorite song by them is “Blue Monday” which is really a compositional masterpiece if you listen closely.

As I was running the lyric “The wisdom of the fool won't set you free” really got my attention but I wasn’t sure why. Is it because I am seeking something out of this whole running thing? Will running, and more specifically not feeling like a lethargic slug anymore, change my life? What am I running from or to anyways? Am I running to be free? When did I become imprisoned? All deep questions for 7:35 am.

Ah hah! Maybe that’s the answer. I am running to be free – but free from what? Wisdom? The wisdom of the fool? Who is “the fool”?

Yes! That’s it. The fool is me thinking I know something I don't.

Today’s lesson: Your own foolish wisdom will never make you free. Wisdom is not in the knowing but in the doing. To be free you must do.

Here's New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle" if you want to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment