Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Push On

I’ll be honest with you. This morning I didn't feel like running so I skipped training and blamed my kids. I woke up late and yes I snoozed a few times again. My kid’s were up too and I decided to avoid a mishap (read blog entry “Laughter for the Soul”) so I just got ready and left for work.

I felt bad all morning until a friend sent me some great advice on running. He said before and during a run I should rub Body Glide all over myself, not wear a shirt (cotton I believe), have a banana or other snack in my pocket (for energy), start off slow and finish fast, and do all this with a group because it’s more fun. He also mentioned that listening to music might distract me from tuning in to my body.

Interesting.

I heeded his advice and picked up a cool Under Armour shirt during my lunch hour. I considered buying a compression fit shirt but decided against it because it did not come with the muscle suit Gallagher (a popular comedian in the '80s) used to wear.

After dinner my guilt got the best of me and I committed to running before bed. It actually felt good to put my first “high performance” shirt, pajama pants, and running shoes on. After laughing at myself in the mirror I snuck off to the basement before my kids caught on.

I skipped my friend’s advice about the music (I am in tune with my body – it needs a tune up) and ran into action to Paul Van Dyk’s “Let Go”. 5 minutes into my run something strange happened - I didn’t feel totally wiped out. Minute 10 came and went and I was able to push on to minute 12. At this point my friend’s advice, “don’t risk hurting yourself”, popped into my head so I stopped.

Then reality spun me into a daze and I had to sit down to recover. While in this daze the inspiration for tonight’s lesson hit me (I love how the creative process works).

It's ok to not feel like doing something, but to move forward in life you need to push beyond your feelings.

On a side note the Under Armour shirt was great. It felt like I had an air conditioner strapped to my body. Maybe I'll try the pants next.

No comments:

Post a Comment