Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lazy or Crazy?

Tonight I want to begin by sending a shout out to my 3 followers. Much love.

As usual I almost didn’t run or write a blog entry today because I was feeling tired. I was complaining to my niece, who is hanging out in the sticks with us for a few days, about a pounding headache I was trying to beat back. She casually said, “Don’t be lazy, be crazy.”

Her words smacked the lethargy out of me and I was inspired to get moving again. This is how life seems to work at times. You get inspired to do something and in words everything sounds great. Then, in your mind your think, “Damn, why did I start a blog about this whole running thing." Finally, reality kicks in and you realize words don’t take on life without action. This is where the "high" of the promise ends and discipline begins. It's also where you discover a lot about yourself.

Everyday my "reasoning self" wants to quit and conspires with my mind to do so. After all I have 3 kids who demand my time and energy. I have a wife who needs my support. I have family and friends to keep up with. To excel personally and professionally I have to deliver excellence. The garage door needs fixing. The washing machine is infested with mold. My wife’s car tire went flat. My head hurts. The list goes on and on.

So I step back, realize my life demands are no different than anyone else, thank God for having a sense of humor with me, and run in my basement. At the same time I do not dismiss I need to work through all of the blessing noted above (anything that makes you a better, kinder, and/or more patient person is a blessing). It’s just I am discovering that physical energy translates into mental and spiritual energy so I feel compelled to run. Will I feel like this tomorrow or the day after? I don't know. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

The lesson in all of this? It’s good to be crazy at times. It inspires you to put aside your “reasoning self” and do things you otherwise would not do.

No comments:

Post a Comment