Friday, April 2, 2010

Joke's on Me

Today must be April Fools' day because I just signed up to run the Army 10-Miler in October. That gives me 6 months to train a body that has trouble running up a flight of stairs.

Inspired by my sister’s story – ran the NY Marathon, had a stroke (not because of the marathon), found her purpose in life – I too am going to run in hopes of discovering some unknown truth about human existence. Idealistic I know, but God has a sense of humor. He will see that the spirit of a fool overtook me on April 1st and bless me with the grace to not collapse and make a complete baffoon of myself in public on race day.

So now that the initial euphoria of doing something I have never done before has subsided how will I actually pull this off? Good question. One I am asking myself as I take a cortisol management supplement to calm my nerves.

Tonight I told my wife of my decision and her support was stupendous. She reminded me that since we starting dating I have promised a buff and fit body not yet delivered.

Yes this is my dilemma. How does a guy who has never exercised seriously in 35 years prepare to run 10 miles? I am not sure but I guess I’m going to find out.

2 comments:

  1. Brian:

    I read your last blog with interest and just want to say that it's not the end of your journey, but just the beginning! Think of the many ways that you can now share with the world all the beautiful experiences that you have been sharing during your journey. Good luck and never stop running. Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear nephew, never stop running, you and Shirley are an inspiration for the whole family. Thanks you for sharing so many beautiful thoughts, we love you, x0x0x0x0, tia

    ReplyDelete