Friday, April 30, 2010

Time to Get Rad

So life just kicked me in the teeth and hugged me at the same time. Has that ever happened to you? I messed up my knee running the other day and have had to take a break. I think the lack of endorphins in my system allowed some old gremlins to sneak back in and my mental, spiritual, and emotional states have been a bit off. That and I'm trying to kick a caffeine and sugar habit for the millionth time (caramel lattes and Orange Fanta to be exact). So tonight I write this blog not knowing when I can run again. Advice on the web says to condition my knee on a stationary exercise bike but my wife disagrees. She wonders when in the world I will ever use an exercise bike again and she’s probably right. Oh well, that’s what credit cards are for.

So back to the life hugging me thing. I really was about to quit on this whole running and blogging effort, considering I can’t get folks to follow my blog, but something inside of me said, “hold on.” Hold on for what I wondered. And then it happened. A breakthrough. A call from destiny. Dramatic I know, but that’s how I’m feeling right now.

And what did destiny say? To believe in the power of dreams and hold on. It also told me to recall the lessons one of my childhood heroes, Cru Jones, taught me.

Cru Jones was just an ordinary guy with uncanny abilities. He could do a back flip on a bicycle. He could also bicycle boogie (dance and do tricks with a bicycle). Cru taught me that there’s “thunder in your heart” and “every move is like lighting.” Most importantly he taught me that dreams do come true – but at a price. That price is your teeth on occasion when life decides to kick them in. “Don’t cry”, Cru would probably say. “Next time remember to wear a mouthpiece.” Under Armour has some cool ones I hear.

Tonight, right when I feel like quitting I’m going to rethink things as a tribute to Cru Jones. Hopefully my knee situation will resolve itself and the journey will continue. If not I can always do like Cru and ride a bicycle.

If this blog makes no sense to you, you need to watch “Rad”. It’s one of the finest movies produced in the ‘80s (there I go with that ‘80s thing again – bear with me I think my blog is taking on a pattern).

Tonight’s lesson? The trick to moving forward is to keep moving forward. Run, ride a bicycle, do whatever you need to do, but just keep moving forward. Destiny is waiting.

If you’re curious, here’s a video summary of Rad. I love this movie!

2 comments:

  1. Loose goose....patience is a virtue. You can do this. The blog is not about how many followers you will gain, the run is not to be the first one who finishes. Both journeys are happening because you are learning, growing and your spirit is growing beyond your exceptional boundary.
    Keep going, like Josh Grobin's song "Don't Give Up". I am so proud of you and your efforts :)
    Super Doopie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't stop believin'! (My 80's song advice) You know you can do this! It's just a little set back, give it some time to heal. I'm here rooting for you cousin!

    ReplyDelete