Sunday, April 11, 2010

Power of Love

Since starting this blog I am noticing a lot of things I guess I have been missing for a long time.

Last night the thought of all I am trying to do had me feeling like I drank one too many mojitos. At 2:30 a.m. the spinning in my head turned to exhaustion and I finally collapsed into a deep sleep. Usually this would not be an issue on a Friday night because my wife is kind enough to let me sleep in on Saturdays (she really is an angel and a beautiful one at that). But this morning was different. This morning I had to take my son to karate class at 9:00 a.m. and to make it on time I would have to be up and done running no later then 8:20 (yes I am that methodical).

If you’ve been following this blog you realize that getting up without snoozing would be a miracle for me. Well thank God because a miracle happened in my bed this morning and it’s not what you may be thinking.

This morning I got up without snoozing once!

Somehow I managed to finish 10 minutes of running with my eyes closed and was showered, dressed, and in positive spirits in time to get my son to class. I even had the patience to allow my 3-year old son to join us even though he insisted on wearing his glow in the dark pajamas and snow boots (you have to let kids, and people, be themself sometimes).

Yes, this morning was unique for me.

So of course I had to ask myself why. Is it because running has pumped some much needed endorphins into my system? Maybe. Is it because I feel committed to running the 10-Miler to the best of my ability? Maybe. Is it because I am now blogging about this whole journey and would be totally embarrassed if I collapse and get hospitalized prior to crossing the finish line in October? Probably. But none of these are the full answer.

The real reason I was able to get up this morning and break a habit (at least for the moment) that has held a grip on me for so long I can’t even remember when it wasn’t a habit has nothing to do with me. Instead, it has everything to do with love. Love for my son to be specific.

You see, my son loves his Taekwondo class and the joy it brings him is a beautiful thing to witness. It reminds me of a time when I too loved life with all my being. He is only 5 but he is teaching me more about life then I could ever have imagined.

Today his instructor told him that at the next class he would receive another tip (color tape on his white belt that signifies he is advancing to a yellow belt). He was ecstatic and gave me a thumbs up and huge smile! Imagine if I would have missed that because I was too busy snoozing? Makes me wonder how many moments like this I have missed in my life. How many have you missed?

So the the lesson of the day is a simple one. If you snooze you loose (sorry I couldn’t resist saying this).

No comments:

Post a Comment