Monday, April 26, 2010

Get Up!

This past weekend I had a small breakthrough followed by a slight backslide (no I was not break dancing - ok, I did dance a little). The breakthrough was running 1.5 miles outside in the rain on Saturday. The backslide was not writing a blog entry on Saturday, skipping running training on Sunday, and drinking a few Mojitos to celebrate on both days. I guess I was inspired by my “accomplishment” and the celebration went on longer than it probably should have.

This is what happens when your rational self retaliates for being yelled at. If it can’t discourage you from doing something it will distract you with temptation aimed at derailing your efforts. You see this past Saturday my rational self and I got into an argument while I was running and it went something like this.

Rational Self: “Why are you doing this?”
Me: “Because I want to.”
Rational Self: “What are you trying to prove?”
Me: “Nothing.”
Rational Self: “Do you think this can really change your life?”
Me: “I hope so.”
Rational Self: “I think this is a waste of time.”
Me: “You think too much. Why don’t you just shut up!”

I probably used stronger words in that last line but my mom is reading this blog now so I have to take it easy. This argument seems to happen every time I run and always at the halfway point. Right when I am most tempted to quit.

So why does this happen? Is it because my rational self is lazy and risk adverse? Is it because it doesn’t want me to excel in life? The simple answer is no. Oddly enough, my rational self wants to protect me from suffering because it loves me. It sees me running around like a madman, feels the anguish in my body, and decides it needs to put an end to this self torture. This is a survival instinct – avoid that which brings you pain. The rational self is only doing it’s best to bring me happiness, even if it is self defeating.

Unfortunately, the rational self lacks the intensity and faith to see that all this running and blogging stuff will eventually pay off. This is where I allow my lower (caveman) and higher (enlightened) self to collaborate and help me out. My lower self is intense and will run through walls for me. My higher self is full of faith so it encourages me to push on. Together they convince my rational self to hang in there. This is all a little metaphysical but it helps get the job done.

Tonight’s lesson sums up the story above in a simple manner. You need to get up off your ass (and take it easy with the Mojitos) if you want to get anything worthwhile done in life. Sorry mom, but it's true.

And to drive this lesson home, here is a clip from my beloved Rocky movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment