Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Laughter for the Soul

Can running really change your life? I am hoping so. Not that my life is bad or anything. I just have the feeling that the only constant in life is change. Therefore, I want to embrace it instead of run from it.

Today my alarm went off at 6:30 am. After 5 sweet snoozes (sleeping is my hobby of choice at the moment) I rolled out of bed at 6:55. Actually, I stayed in bed for a moment and asked God to please help me get up. I guess He was listening because a few moments later I was standing on my treadmill in the basement.

The day was uneventful for the most part and the thought of finally getting my legs in motion was nice. At lunch I bought some running shoes and endured a brief moment of embarrassment. It turns out you have to run on a treadmill so that the right shoes may be matched to your foot type and running style. I had the pleasure of doing this in my work clothes with black dress socks on and my pants rolled up just under my knee. I am sure the girl helping me out got a good laugh.

This evening, inspired by my new journey, I decided to take care of a few items on my “honey do” list. As I squatted down to tighten the legs on our kitchen table my own legs tightened up and my quads started to burn. Wow! Am I out of shape. 2 Aleves later I’m praying that I can keep this up for 6 more months.

My wife, an ex-professional ballerina, can only look on in wonder. If my kid’s were old enough to understand what’s going on I bet they would laugh too.

Well sometimes in life it is good to laugh at yourself. This is the lesson of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment