Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Focus Danielson!

Ok, I will level with you. I did not run yesterday and do not plan on running tonight. No excuses. I’m almost too wiped out to write this blog but something won’t allow me to let up on this commitment (and it's sure not my wife).

Last night was rough. My creative muse wanted to chat and I was having a great time listening. Sometime before the sun rose my eyes shut. Next thing I know my infamous alarm clock goes off and of course I savored snoozing a few times (not too many though).

Fast forward to tonight and the only thing I wanted to do when I returned from work was lay down and close my eyes. That fantasy is seldom realized, especially tonight. I had committed to painting the laundry room so my wife took the kids to the gym and left me alone so I could get to work. I actually don’t mind painting because the reward of seeing a freshly painted room is well worth the effort. I’m always amazed how a fresh coat of paint makes everything new again. Don’t you wish life was that easy?

Maybe it can be.

You see painting requires preparation, practice, and patience. Lot’s of patience actually. Especially when your wife shows up and says, “You missed a spot,” and then your kids rub their greasy fingers on the wall to see if the paint is dry.

Sort of sounds like running doesn’t it? So in theory painting the wall taught me as valuable a lesson tonight as running would have. Yes, I’m self rationalizing my decision to skip running but please bear with me – I’m typing with only one eye open.

Ok, let’s connect the dots to unearth tonight’s lesson. Everything in life is worth doing. If you listen life speaks to and teaches you through everyday activities like running, painting, arguing with your wife, etc… Remember “wax on wax off, paint the fence, and sand the deck”? You probably have to be a child of the ‘80s to get the last sentence. In the end everything adds up to something worthwhile – your life. So remember to prepare, practice, and have patience. Tada!

On a side note I have just decided to go downstairs and run. My conscious (and Mr. Miyagi) just got the best of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment