Monday, October 25, 2010

Ran to My Life

Every beginning has its end. Yesterday, I ran and completed the Army 10-Miler marking the end of this season in my life. This will also be my final blog post on R2ML (though I'm considering starting another blog).

At 12:33 a.m. on April 2, 2010 I wrote my first ever blog post. In it I described a journey I had embarked on to run the Army 10-Miler with my sister. My reasons for doing so included honoring my sister’s recovery from a stroke, becoming a better dad and husband, discovering truths about life and myself, and pushing myself to do something I never imagined I could do. I believe all those things have been fulfilled in one form or another.

As I sit here and write this final post I have to ask myself what this journey has really taught me. At the end of each blog post I have written a lesson to myself to remember what was going on in my heart and mind at the time. In total I’ve captured something like 116 lessons which mostly deal with the self.

The lesson I internalized this past Sunday is that life is not at all about the self. It’s about relationships and community. It’s about the bonds and love we share with others. True life lies in getting beyond yourself and realizing how connected you are to everyone and everything else.

30,000 people ran the Army-10 Miler and the connection we all shared for a moment is something I will never forget. I will also never forget the people I met along the way. One of my most memorable experiences was running past my family and friends as they cheered me on (loved the signs mom!). Words cannot express the depth of love I felt for them at that moment. It was as though I was looking at them through another set of eyes. Like I was seeing them for the first time again. They are my family. Souls God genetically and lovingly connected to me. Seeing my wife and children in that light moved me to tears. Wow! I thought to myself. These amazing miracles are our children Babe!

As I ran I witnessed countless acts of human dignity, connection, and love. A man completing the race in a wheelchair was encouraged and cheered on by those around him. A lady rode her bike along the runners and cheered words of encouragement. Army bands played music from my beloved Rocky films (I loved this). Wounded Warriors smiled as they ran by. People from all walks of life and nationalities shared a glance of understanding and fellowship.

Something that was especially moving was the race started and ended at the Pentagon. I couldn’t help but feel a strong sense of connection and love for my country. A country where life, freedom, and the pursuit of happiness are a reality. A country where anyone is free to run to and find their life. Thank you to all that have served and continue to serve to protect and defend those values. Running with you, for you, and in memory of you was an honor.

This all inspired me in a way I have never known. This was my greatest lesson. We exist on this planet to love and care for one another. It’s what God intends I believe. This is tonight’s lesson. The final lesson of this journey.

Thank you for running to my life with me. I pray your own journey may always be blessed.

Sadly every beginning has its end. I’ve run to my life and found it. New adventures like a 4th baby are next!

I hope these words inspire you to seek and find the truth within yourself my friend. Go and run to your life and let me know how it’s going.

God bless!

journeyman@r2ml.com







"Shine On"

Somewhere between the end
And the point where we begin
There's a fire burning brightly
That's found it's way to dim
When the feeling's gone...

Shine on Shine on
and onto something new its long and overdue
I will remember you
Shine on shine on
And let the other's see you've got your victory
Will you remember me

I was with you in the valley
And up upon that hill
So take just one more step in front of you
For I am with you still you still
And you're not alone

Shine on Shine on
And onto something new its long and overdue
I will remember you
Shine on shine on
And let the other's see you've got your victory
Will you remember me

Can you see my hands are open
I am waiting just ahead
And you think you need it all now
But you needed me instead

Shine on shine on shine on shine on won't you won't you shine

Shine on Shine on
And onto something new its long and overdue
I will remember you
Shine on shine on
And let the other's see you've got your victory
Will you remember me

Somewhere between the end and the point where we began

3 comments:

  1. One journey ends and another one begins...good job Bryan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks & Congrats Bryan. This blog is one of the first I've found relevant but now am following two others. Very inspiring. I hope it "runs" into another chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! My next major adventure is having a 4th child 1-year to the day I started R2ML. Maybe I can blog about not sleeping. I'll keep you posted. :-)

    ReplyDelete