Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Learning the Hard Way

“Dreams without action are fantasies.” That’s the thought I’ve been having lately.

Everyday I wake up with a headful of possibilities and anxieties. The possibilities inspire and energize me. The anxieties discourage me. Both serve a purpose, but at the same time pull me into the past or future. They work to keep me from the present moment known as reality.

Reality is I need to wake-up and get moving if I am to accomplish anything worthwhile. Thinking about what I can do has value, but if I don’t write it down and take action it never happens. I’m a possibilities thinker and have a natural inclination towards idea generation. The problem is ideas can be so exciting compared to the actual work required to materialize those ideas. It takes enormous discipline to stick with something once the initial “high” has worn off.

So what does this have to do with running? A lot.

When I originally thought about running the Army 10-miler I was full of energy and hope. The thought of training and conditioning my body and mind was exciting. Then I went running for the first time and the euphoria wore off quickly. I realized that I was on a painful journey. One that would require commitment, discipline, and sacrifice. I internalized this and started this blog to keep me motivated and focused.

Now the race is 12 days away and something inside of me has ignited. I want to run and finish the race with heart. I also want to apply all that I have felt and learned to the rest of my life.

“Dreams without action are fantasies.” This is tonight’s lesson. One I am learning the hard way. But I'm also loving every moment of it. I only have one shot at life afterall.

Here’s a video that resonates with this lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment