Friday, May 7, 2010

Caution Ahead!

There is a sticker on my bike that says, “Warning – Night riding is dangerous.” Ignoring that warning almost cost me my life tonight. As I was coming to an intersection an oncoming car swung around a little too fast and the driver must not have seen me because his headlights were headed straight for me. A quick swerve on my part and some hard braking from the driver kept my wife from becoming an instant millionaire (life insurance you know).

This got me thinking. I love the whole "dive in" thing, but a healthy dose of caution might save my life so I can actually make it the Army 10-Miler.

And so I have to confess. Last week when I tweaked my knee I was being careless. I was too tired to run but pushed myself anyway and while running I sort of dozed off, lost my balance, and landed on my right foot at an awkward angle. This explains my bum knee.

I learned from all of this though. Intensity and desire to do something is great, and makes for interesting blogging, but not really knowing what you’re getting into or what you're doing can have its price.

The trick to making it in the unknown is to balance passionate action with logical thinking. Act and think, think and act. This will increase your chances of success and help you avoid unnecessary setbacks like a bum knee or getting hit by a car. That is tonight's lesson.

I’m heeding my own advice and here’s a video to prove it.



Dad, if you’re reading this blog I made the whole thing up.

2 comments:

  1. This video here reminds me of when i had an accident about two months ago on a motorcycle where i crashed in to the back of a car and smashed both of my feet and fractured the three middle toes on both my feet and i couldnt walk for about three weeks until i was able to get a cast that could hold my weight and walk with crutches. I am still suffering from sharp pains on my foot, so i could imagine how it must feel to have a bum knee and not be able to run the 10 miler cause i now cant even run to save my life...

    Hi Bryan, this is Tito hope you remember me :)

    Nice blog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tito! Good to hear from you and thanks for the comment. You just made my bum knee feel better. :-)

    ReplyDelete