Thursday, May 6, 2010

Get a Laugh

“A sense of humor is a major defense against minor troubles.”
~ Mignon McLaughlin

In light of my melancholic state yesterday and the quote above, tonight I’m going in a new direction. I’m no poet but I’m going to lay down a poetic tribute to another one of my childhood heroes, Clark Griswold, of National Lampoon's European Vacation fame.

The sun broke through my window
And shined its light on my soul

My thoughts rushed back to times of friendship and family

The years have passed but the memories remain
Simple days when the moment felt like years

Days warmed by the summer sun’s rays
And the humor of a man on a journey

Through trial and struggle he created a way for his family
Through the European countryside he traveled

The day came when his manhood was challenged
A handful of drunk dancing buffoons with violence on their mind

Slap after slap they tested his resolve
Until there was no more to take

Finally our hero could take no mo’
He reached back like a pimp and knocked out the bro

The humor is not for the faint of heart
It takes courage to laugh in the face of terror

For this I will watch my hero again
And you can too by clicking below



Oh, the lesson in all of this? Remember to laugh. It's the anecdote for a discouraged spirit.

And I did run again today.

1 comment: