Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Faith and Love in Action

On every journey the gremlins of the past, present, and future will show up after a breakthrough to kick the living crap out of you for daring to change. They have names like hurt, shame, rage, anger, resent, bitterness, and unforgiveness.  If you allow them to, they will destroy you.

Tonight they almost did me in.

All was well until bedtime when the kids weren’t cooperating and neither my wife nor I had the patience to endure. That event triggered a storm in me that has been brewing for a while. It has nothing to do with my wife or kid’s but instead with lack of sleep, unresolved issues of the past, demands of the present, and worries of the future. Tonight I failed to be a great husband and dad and I can only ask my family’s forgiveness.

The storm settled down then another gremlin paid me a visit to stir things up again. All I could do was shut off my computer, complain to my wife, and get into bed. Then the spirit of Rocky spoke to me and said, “It ain’t about how hard you can hit, it’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward… how much you can take and keep moving forward. Get up. Get up!”

No more B.S. I will change. I will become a great dad even though I’m not sure how to do so. I will destroy the gremlins of the past, present, and future. They will not destroy me. I will strike back to the tune of running 40 minutes non-stop, which I did. This isn’t much but it’s more than I ever thought I could do right now.

Tonight’s lesson? To reach your life’s dream you must face and overcome the gremlins that stand in the way. Don’t externalize them because they live inside of you. Either you will destroy them or they will destroy you. How do you destroy them? Through faith and love in action. And after you destroy the gremlins? Show others what life looks like without them.

Here’s a a movie clip that resonates with this lesson.

1 comment: