Saturday, November 20, 2010

Uphill Battle

“Don’t ever quit on yourself.” That’s the thought I had today as I went for a long, mostly uphill, run.

Shortly into my run my lungs started burning like never before (it’s cold outside now). The hill in front of me looked like a mountain and the thought of stopping and walking was extraordinarily tempting. Then I realized running uphill is what makes me stronger. So I closed my eyes and just kept putting one foot in front of the other. As I reached the top of the hill I was reminded that in life it’s the uphill battles that define our resolve.

I also thought of my friend EVK. He’s a stroke survivor like my sister. And a hardcore runner and martial artist. His passion and story inspire me to run to my life. I hope it does the same for you. Here’s his blog if you’re curious.

Way of the Dove – Be the hope. Live the change.

Today’s lesson is to remember this. “The harder the breeze, the stronger the trees.”

Here is one of EVK’s videos which demonstrate his powerful ability to run inspite of ongoing physical challenges caused by his stroke. He has a running event coming up on April 24, 2011 if you’re interested.



In addition, here's the song that inspired me to push on today. I think this should be EVK's theme song. :-)

1 comment: