Friday, December 10, 2010

Attitude Adjustment

“What a terrible day.” That’s the thought I had tonight as I failed to run again. But was it really so terrible? Let me explore this.

I guess this is all just part of the journey.

Right now it seems like my mind is fixated on solving one problematic aspect of my life – my professional future. To compensate for this stress I’m up to 2 or 3 cups of coffee in the morning and 1 Mountain Dew in the afternoon. I rationalize this by saying it’s part of the creative process. That’s BS. It’s nothing but a mental escape.

It’s like I’m playing a broken record over and over in my mind. One moment all is calm. And the next a storm starts raging. I know running works to bring me into balance, but somehow I just can’t keep a consistent schedule.

Tonight I talked with a new co-worker who brought me a new perspective. He and his wife are living in a motel. Both had been laid off and literally lost everything. He also told me that he’s keeping a positive attitude about the whole thing. He’s working two jobs now and has hope for the future.

That’s it! Today was not terrible. It was a learning experience. The problem with me right now is not my circumstance. It’s my attitude. I lost my attitude of gratitude for a moment there. When this happens the lights go out and all I can see is darkness. Let me turn the light’s back on.

I am grateful for this "terrible" day. That’s tonight’s lesson. You can always choose your attitude once you get over yourself.

Here’s a video that resonates with this lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment